Sunday, July 30, 2006

Look out for needle sizes!

Wish I'd spotted this sooner. On the pattern details it says requirements are:
4.5mm needles, 4.0mm dpns, 3.25 mm needles, cable needle and a 4mm crochet hook.
You turn the page and start knitting and it says 'using 5mm needles' ...... and then it uses 5mm needles throughout (well, as far as I have got anyway.) Later on, in the finishing it uses 4.5mm dpns (up a size again) for the cabling. Maybe this is why I am going to run out of black yarn? Because the pattern is using a size of needle up all the way through?

ETA: Just ordered my i-cord maker, some 4.5mm dpns and another ball of black from Angel Yarns.

7 Comments:

Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Have you emailed Anna to clarify the needle sizes? If not I certainly will, all rather confusing!

4:29 pm  
Blogger T said...

I haven't DC, as I have now got as far as sewing the front to the back (and discovered that it is definitely far too big, the 36" size having a 40" finished bust) so it's too late for me. Fancy not seeing this 'til now! When I started knitting I didn't look back at the requirements but just waded in.At least you'll know what it should be before you start.

I'm fed up, but that's my fault.

5:38 pm  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Oh T I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you've had with Sgt. P. Thing is I'd have done exactly the same, if the actual pattern says 5mm needles I'd have used them. Will definitely send an email to get some clarification.

6:01 pm  
Blogger T said...

Thanks matey :) I'm looking forward to you knitting it - I think you're going to enjoy it.

10:24 pm  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Hmm, I got the Alchemy printed pattern rather than the download and mine says it requires 5mm needles (or size to obtain gauge), 4.5mm dpns, 4mm dpns and a 4.5mm crochet hook. It then says to CO and work with the 5mm needles for all the main bits.

All a bit confusing! I won't email Anna if you're doing it though DC.

Sorry yours isn't turning out quite as you'd hoped T - do you think it might still be ok sizewise with something worn underneath it?

8:50 am  
Blogger T said...

Hmm, I'm getting A to take a pic (I'm in my nightie!) to see if there's hope :) I've learned a valuable lesson C.

9:05 am  
Blogger Joanne said...

I haven't cast on yet, so I really appreciate the heads-up on the needle size. I'll be interested to hear what Anna says about it. I'm anxious, and yet a little nervous, to start.

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home