Friday, June 23, 2006

I've done some!

Well, I've done the Centre back, but the batteries in the camera have just gone kaput so I have put them on charge and will take a photo tomorrow when the light comes back again. I will say a little about it while I'm here to keep you going 'til it arrives :)

I'm surprised how 'loose' it knits. I don't remember knitting anything black before but it looks quite gappy and I wondered if it was just the light shining through, but there you go. I'm not going to change the needle size because I am patternbound and don't change anything, lol. No I don't swatch - not never. It's lovely and soft but does split if you aren't careful, very similar to the Sirdar Luxury Soft Cotton. It also seems quite long to me, but I'm too tired to see a measurement on the pattern to compare it to. To which to compare it, even :P

As this will take me until the Autumn to knit and I only have Clapotis and Wavy on the go now I decided it was time. I haven't got my i-cord maker yet but will have to remedy that. DC, that won't count as breaking my yarn-fast will it? Hmm? ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I would definitely go for the i-cord maker, it's not yarn so definitely not breaking the yarn fast :-) I'm seriously impressed with your non-yarn-buying! I'm just a yarn bargain addict LOL. Got some Cathay in lilac from the Knit Tin who have it at, wait, 50% off, along with some other DB yarns. I could not pass that up.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on how it knits up. I feel that anything with a silk content is more likely to be splitty. The cashmere-silk frm PY was gorgeous knitted up but I had to be very careful not to lose a strand and end up with little loops. It isn't cotton per-se as the DB cotton is the most awesome yarn to knit with, I don't know much about spinning and plying but this just refuses to split at all.

From the pictures I've seen of the completed SPs I think the fabric on all that have used Cathay looks a little "open", not a tightly-knit effect.

2:58 pm  
Blogger T said...

I thought as it was 'yarn-related' I'd be in breach of contract, lol, but I'm glad to see I'm not :)

Yes, the Cathay is well worth the splittage, as was the PY :) One day I'll try the DB cotton, but I am resisting Knit Tin for now.

6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home