Friday, September 29, 2006

What to do, what to do....

I've started knitting! Finally. I decided to start with the sleeve.

Right now I'm getting 20 stitches in 4 inches, instead of 18 as called for in the pattern. The row gauge is right on the mark.

I'd hate to go up a needle size or two to achieve the gauge as the fabric of the sleeve is already quite limp.

Did any of you have this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Maybe blocking will help? Maybe the jacket will stretch when finished? Maybe I need to become anorexic?

Any comments, ideas, suggestions ... anything, would be appreciated. I'm using Cathay and I really like this yarn, even though it does split easily.

By the way.. thanks for your earlier input. I've decided to make this colourway:













I'll post a picture of my knitting on the weekend.

Joanne
http://www.rjconklin.com/keeptalking.htm

1 Comments:

Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I think all of us using Cathay have found that the fabric is quite floppy and also a bit net-like! I used 5mm needles as I was just about getting gauge with those, like you I didn't want to go up any more because the fabric would just be too loose. Really, Cathay is operating outside its normal range of gauge here, but it was used because it was lightweight and I guess the jacket could end up very heavy with a bulkier yarn.

6:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home