Wednesday, August 09, 2006

hello, newbie

hello! i just joined the KAL and i think i might need the moral support. this jacket is already giving me a headache! i've just ripped all the seams from the back panel out because i sewed them together wrong, and i think it'll be a bit on the large size on me. just to clarify i've sewn it together correctly this time: the side panels should not match up to the top of the centre panel, should they, so that when you set in the sleeves they fit half onto the side panels and half onto the centre panel? that's horribly described but i hope someone understands me.

i'm using yarn from my stash: a tweedy khaki green wool with brown and gold accents. here's a mockup, i hope you don't mind me using your tracing joanne:

hopefully i'll get some pics up soon when it resembles more a jacket and less a lumpy pile of yarn.

happy knitting all!

8 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Hi Katie :) That's right, the side panels at the back don't go all the way up to the top of the centre panel. Good luck! It's a beastie isn't it?;o)

9:35 pm  
Blogger T said...

I've just looked at your blog, your knitting is wonderful!

9:37 pm  
Blogger katie said...

thanks for the confirmation and compliment :)

10:08 pm  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Hi Katie and welcome :-)

I tried to start my jacket tonight and got fed up of the provisional cast on! I've never done one before and just seemed to get into a tangle LOL.

Would either of you say that this is absolutely necessary or could you simply pick up stitches? I've not read the pattern through and suspect it might be needed to graft a hem on or something similar? Doubtless I'll attempt it again in daylight and earlier in the day :-)

12:02 am  
Blogger katie said...

i actually thought exactly the same thing and skipped it! it'll probably take longer to pick up all the stitches but it's less fiddly to my mind.
mine's looking a lot better now that i figured out how the arms fit in!

12:15 am  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

That's good news, I think I'll do the same :-D I got lots of practice picking up stitches on Latifa ....

Glad to hear your jacket is fitting together properly!

12:33 am  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Lovely to see a new KAL member! I've picked green for mine as well, though I've yet to start.

Hope it gets a bit easier as you go along!

8:38 am  
Blogger T said...

The only way I know how to provisional cast on is to knit in a separate colour yarn and then pick those up later for the hem, take them off the first yarn. Sorry, I don't know 'techniques' and how to describe it better than that.

8:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home